Tuesday, March 30, 2010

March Madness Farm Style

It's here and we've been waiting all winter long. We're down to the final four and wonder who will win this year. It will, of course, be the one who wins every year: Mother Nature.

This week has begun the official planting season. I haven't seen the guys during the daylight hours unless they are heading out first thing in the morning or coming in to get a snack to get them by about 5:00 until supper at nightfall.

This is the time of year that I sometimes question my coping abilities. I need to come up with suppers that are "flexible", whatever that is. There needs to be a cookbook on that one. I never know when to start a project, grade papers, or begin cooking something as I am "on call" at the ring of a phone.

I don't know where to find the guys if I need them. Cells make that so much easier. Who knows what farm they might be at. I sit in the house and listen for the sound of a tractor or truck to pull in the driveway and then I hightail it to the kitchen to begin the final preps for supper: start the potatoes boiling, cut up the salad, finish the veggies, etc. They never mind waiting if my timing is exact.

It is supposed to get to 80 on Thursday and nice through Friday. We'll get a lot done. The air smells so good being turned over and there is an anticipation amongst those who till the earth. God bless them all for their hard work and dedication.

Until then, I'll figure out what to do until the guys get in for supper!

No comments: