Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fall Preview

          It's that time of year again.  Almost 7:30 PM and I have no idea what time we will eat supper, nor who will be here to enjoy the spaghetti and meatballs I have stewing on the stove.  I know there will be two, Steve and Dan, and I think there is a good possibility that there will be two more, Mike and Mal.  I never really know until I hear the back door open and try to decipher how many distinct voices I hear on the back porch.
          Everyone has spent the day weaning our spring calves and now all of the little ones are getting their much needed immunizations, much the same as those kindergarten children get once they start school.  It is a long and involved process and I know that it will be several hours before I see the first group come pulling in the driveway.
          But I also know that weaning means I will get restless sleep for the next two to three nights.  The calves will be bawling for their moms 24/7 and with the weather still quite warm, we will have the windows open and be privy to their serenading.  Just as noisy as any city block so I can kiss the quiet and serene country nights goodbye for a while.
          I have midterms to make out, papers to grade, and budgets to work on.  Really, might as well use my time wisely.  But then, I'll probably be awake most of the night anyway!   

No comments: