Sunday, March 1, 2009

It's All In What You Hear

As most teachers do, I give a weekly spelling test to my students. After the 20 words, I always give 2 dictation sentences which I grade on punctuation and I always incorporate some of my spelling words in them.

This week, one of my dictation sentences was as follows: Do you enjoy making a large amount of noise just to annoy me? I told them they could answer that question if they desired and I got some funny remarks.

However, the most interesting sentence was submitted by Tenaya. Her version of the sentence above went like this: Do you and Joy like making a large amount of noise just to annoy me? Now, she was close, but I had to chuckle when I read about Joy. It took all I had to keep from counting it wrong. Just a little misunderstanding or an attempt to make up another word because she didn't know how to spell enjoy? It's hard to make the call.

No comments: