Sunday, March 8, 2009

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

I have always wanted to live on a lake, ocean, or near a meandering stream. I have finally gotten my wish! No, the stimulus package has not landed on my doorstep with more money than I can spend. The simple answer is: We have received 4 inches of rain in the past 18 hours.

I woke up last night at 1:10 AM and couldn't believe the noise that was outside. It sounded like a freight train was coming through our driveway. I had always heard that tornadoes sound this way right before they strike. I noticed no branches were swaying so decided a tornado was on our doorstep. After waking Steve up, we hurriedly went downstairs and tried to assess what we were going to do. I had cell phone in hand, all of my expensive belongings I own (that would be my wedding and engagement ring), and a flashlight. We turned on the radio, no warnings, and ascertained that the loud noise was the rain BEATING against our house and barns. Who knew rain could make so much noise.

This morning, the rain continued as it has most of the afternoon. Our house has a beautiful lake across the road, as well as my meandering stream running through the front yard. I hear ripples as we speak and water fowl have begun making their home on the various water landforms around our perimeter.

Alas, this will eventually drift away, but I will be left with the memories of a dream fulfilled, no cost to me whatsoever. Who ever said I was hard to please?

No comments: