Thursday, July 1, 2010

Tossing Out Orchids

The party's over! Our youngest daughter and child was married this past weekend amidst many tears, a whole lot of fun, and relatives and friends who wish the young couple nothing but love and joy in their lives.

And for us left behind, life goes on as usual. But putting things back together after everyone has gone is a bittersweet experience. I have washed 60 stainless steel trays of various sizes, 60 bowls, countless utensils, put away and frozen numerous pounds of food and done it all with a gracious and smiling face, reminiscing the glorious weekend. I am, however, in a quandary as to the disposal of the bridal bouquets and centerpieces.

Orchids and hydrangeas make a beautiful couple and I have yet to feel the need to toss them out. Never in my life would I have thought I would have so many tropical flowers at my disposal, let alone disbursement.

When it comes to orchids, does one give them a ceremonial burial complete with song and Hawaiian music? Or do I simply throw them outside and let the birds of the air embellish their nests with these immigrant flowers? Should I let them decay in the vase they are currently in and enjoy them as long as possible?

I guess the above picture is going to have to be my reminder of a time when dreams were made, dances performed, and vows made. The memories are what I must save and have, smiling and grinning from ear to ear almost every second of the day.

Best wishes Nick and Janice. We all love you so much!!!!

No comments: