Monday, June 14, 2010

Bird Brains

Nature and I have been playing tug of war for about 4 days now. Actually, it has been a war with the barn swallows around my house. Now that the last battle has been fought I am able to claim victory and write about my accomplishments.

Last year a family of swallows decided that they would build their mud laden nest on the side of the overhead light on our front porch. They snuck in under the radar before I realized what was happening and had a beautiful nest built in which they raised a nice family. It was ideal, for them anyway.

For me, I had to duck their swoops every time I used my front door, walk through their bird droppings, and listen to them chattering at all hours. Not the best situation but nonetheless, who am I to destroy the whims of nature so I let it pass. Their condo would soon be gone and I would have my front porch back.

Last Thursday I noticed a bevy of barn swallows in the front yard hanging around my porch again. They must have been pretty impressed with the accommodations from last year as, before I knew it, they were back at putting up another nest on the overhead light on the front porch. I was not going to be caught unawares this year so planned to stand my ground and fight for my rights.

I let them work about an hour and then went outside and raked the still wet mud/grass mixture off the light fixture with my garden hoe. Mission accomplished. I would show them who had stake to this territory! Brains over brawn.

After carrying on about my business, I noticed an unusual amount of commotion outside. Sure enough, my swallows were back and there were more of them. They would build their nest up, I would hoe it down. Lord knows we have plenty of barns that barn swallows could build their nests in. The war was on!

This went on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. They would spend time building the nest, I would knock it down. How long was this war of the wills going to last?

Much to my chagrin, I got up this morning and noticed that the swallows were back, using another side of the fixture this time. I stood my ground and let them know who was boss.

Finally, they gave up this afternoon. I have been wondering what made them change their minds. Do they work for four days and have a nest and then quit? Or did they get the hint they were welcome on the farm, just not on my front porch? I couldn't believe that I could knock their house down and they kept rebuilding in the same place. Who would do that? And then I had to smile as I realized that humans who build homes on the ocean, hillsides, and along rivers, among other places, do the same thing year after year to be destroyed by floods, hurricanes, mudslides, etc. If they don't "get it", why did I think a bevy of barn swallows would?

No comments: