Monday, April 26, 2010

Wicked Witch of the East

I always have ambitions of writing about something other than my second career, that of being a farmer's wife, and I had a great idea ready, even a picture snapped. But that blog will have to wait as I have once again experienced another totally outrageous incident in this second career. One that left me befuddled!

The guys were busy selling cattle tonight so they said they would be late for supper. About 7:30 I began making Swiss Steak with mashed potatoes, one of their favorite meals and not too hard for me. No recipe needed as I have made it so many times. Then the phone rings! It's Daniel! Never a good sign.

"Mom, there's some pigs out in the field and dad's gone to take the cattle. Can you come out and stand by the gate while I round them up?" Sounds so easy and innocent. Anyone would be willing to oblige him. But I knew better. I was on alert.

The swiss steak was simmering and I thought I was safe there. The longer it simmers, the more tender it is. But the potatoes! They weren't boiling yet and I didn't know how long I would be outside. Should I leave them on the stove to cook, with the possibility of them overcooking, or should I turn them off and know that it would be at least 15 minutes of cooking time once I returned? I opted for choice number 2. First problem solved.

When inquiring of Dan which pen of pigs was out, he had hesitantly told me it was the northern most pen we had. In a split second I made the decision to take my bike out on this jaunt. Problem number 2 solved.

And what a sight I was. Since it was past 7:30 and I had already worked out, I had on my pj's and long pink robe. Proper attire for lounging around the house but not for riding a bike and rounding up pigs. But that has never stopped me before. I ran out to the garage, hopped on the bike, and with my robe flying in the wind and the white basket on my bike rattling up and down, I knew that I was reminiscent of a scene right out of "Wizard of Oz," and I wasn't portraying the good witch.

The entire incident lasted less than 15 minutes with only a few swear words and slight mudding of shoes. I got back in, started the potatoes, and the guys only had to wait for 5 minutes for supper once they got in. They've eaten, a little left over, and I remain in my pink robe and pj's, hoping that my second job is over for the night.

1 comment:

Linda said...

I have to say I got a chuckle out of this story as I tried to picture the pink robe blowing in the wind. Hope you were all able to get the pigs rounded up without further incident!